I have been a parent since 2004. That was the year I found out I was pregnant for the first time with a daughter and I also welcomed a stepson into my life.
Being a parent is the most rewarding and challenging thing I have ever set out to do in my life so far. As Mother’s Day nears, I reflected on being the parent of all four of my kids, but especially the parenting of my youngest who identifies as being transgender. When my son came out to me, he was only 7 years old. I was working in community health and was doing HIV care locally in Tampa, Florida. I was fortunate to work in the LGBTQ+ community and had so many co-workers who offered that initial support.
Since the day that my daughter was revealed to be my son, our family has bonded in ways I never dreamed possible. However, it is a marathon and not a race; getting my son what he needs to thrive in today’s world is not easy. In fact, when I looked for books online to gain more insight into my little dude’s journey, I could hardly find any books about raising transgender children. I am learning each day from my son and our entire family supports his transition and his true identity, but our transgender children need more support and protection now in 2022 than ever before.
The resources listed below are just a few great starting points for any family, friend, educator, or human being wanting to support a transgender or gender non-conforming individual:
Resources for Trans and/or Gender Non-Conforming (TGNC) Kids and Parents:
- Trans Lifeline Resources -The following resources are largely national. Please call the Hotline for support finding local resources. We source trans verified, trans led, and BIPOC led or centered resources where possible.
- Rainbow Health– Offers mental, chemical, and sexual health services for LGBTQ+ people, people living with HIV, and folks from communities that historically and currently face barriers to behavioral health support.
- Human Rights Campaign –Trans Youth and Children Guide
- Movement Advancement Project – Family Support Resources for families of transgender and gender diverse children:
- Trans Parenting Podcast–Supporting transgender youth and their families:
- The Gender Diaries Podcast – A place of community and belonging for parents of transgender kiddos and anyone else looking to support a gender diverse child in their life